Sunday 5 July 2015

Angels, Daemons and Beings Between and Unseen

My first foray into DCC and RPG illustration was working on the Patron Sourcebook, Angels, Daemons and Beings Between. Not being familiar with DCC, the concept of Patrons was a bit odd but it was explained to me that the book would be like the old Deities and Demigods supplement for AD&D.

Sean Connors, the project leader and Daniel Bishop and Paul Wolfe, the writers. Daniel and Paul have become regular contacts for me and I have learnt a lot from both of them and still collaborate with them whenever possible. Sean is a little more elusive as he has withdrawn largely from the RPG community.

This isn't a post about the success of the book or its shortcomings, I wanted to focus on the job.

My mother was selling her house up the coast and I had just signed onto the contract with Sean when I was called to help my mother pack up the house. I decided to catch the 5 hour train ride over driving so I could draw. And I loved the experience - I pulled the printed descriptions of the Patrons from my bag and began sketching.

I think I drew about four of the final pieces and some of the unused Patrons in the train. When I got back to Sydney, I anxiously waited for Daniel and Paul to send more subjects to draw. In the end I drew 16 of the 18 illustrations in the book. The other two were completed by Daniel. I created the cover out of the sheer love I had for the project.

Anyway, I found this video I put together back in 2013 that looks at some of the art I did for that project.


I'd love to see AD&BB re-released with the additional Patrons that were left on the proverbial cutting room floor. Maybe even expand the pantheon further to include other 3rd Party Patrons... but if wishes were fishes... hang on... I am a Fisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment